Monday, October 17, 2011

On the Journey Towards Living With Doubt

It isn't easy to live with doubt. In fact, living with doubt can take many of us to places we would rather not go. And yet, doubt is essential in the spiritual life, not as the opposite of faith but as its partner. As the two dance together in the ebb and flow of life's movement, doubt brings honesty to the floor.
Doubt grounds me in the integrity of the questions. Glib, trite answers have no place in the room of doubt. Doubt invites me to go to places I would rather avoid, because the road is not well marked. Signs sometimes reveal the way, as helpful guides also do. More often than not, though, traveling doubt's path takes me more fully into the life of faith.
Doubt and faith need each other as part of the dance's creative tension. Though I am reluctant to get out on the floor, the music is playing, and I am compelled to respond to the dance.
- Keith Reynolds

No comments: