Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sarah, Aged Seven

In the days shortly before her death, she would lie curled up in a chair, half-dozing, half-watching us as we lived out our lives around her. Smiling, she would say, "I'm so happy, I feel I've got arms tight round me." Her death was the most exciting moment of my life. Deep in the almost overwhelming pain and grief of her going I was still conscious of a great joy and triumph; joy that she had not been destroyed by her suffering, that she was still confident and reassured; joy that we were able to hand her back into and on to the greatest Love of all; joy that this was not really the end. I felt a very real sense of a new birth - more painful but as exciting as her first one seven years earlier. There was an inexplicable but unshakable knowledge that all was indeed well.
- Jane Davies in "The Price of Loving"

No comments: