Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Reading the Psalm

A leading actor was honoured at a banquet. In the after dinner ceremonies the actor was asked to recite for the pleasure of his guest. He consented, and asked if there was anything special anyone in the audience would like to hear.
There was a moment's pause, and then an old clergyman spoke up. "Could you, sir," he said, "recite the Twenty-Third Psalm?"
A strange look came over the actor's face, but he was speechless only for a moment. "I can sir - and I will, on one condition, and that is that after I have recited, you, my friend will do the same."
"I?" replied the surprised clergyman; "but I am not an elocutionist. However, if you wish, I will do so." Impressively the actor began the Psalm, holding his audience spellbound. As he finished, a great burst of applause broke from the guest.
After the applause had ceased, the old clergyman arose. The audience sat in intense silence. The Psalm was recited, and when it was done, there was not the slightest ripple of applause, but those in the audience whose eyes were yet dry had their heads bowed.
The great actor, with hand on the shoulder of the old clergyman, his voice trembling, exclaimed, "I reached your eyes and ears, my friends. This man reached your hearts. I know the Twenty-Third Psalm, but this man knows the Shepherd."

No comments: