Friday, January 06, 2012

On the Journey Towards Accepting my Fears

Remember The Wizard of Oz? Dorothy ran away so that old meany Myra Gulch wouldn't take away her dog, Toto. Dorothy's return was interrupted when a tornado hurled her into the land of the Munchkins. From there she journeyed to the wizard, and then home. The whole adventure was both wonderful and terrible.
As a child, I was mesmerised and initially thankful when the Good Fairy, Glinda, pointed Dorothy down the yellow brick road. But when the Wicked Witch of the West appeared, I was terrified. And finally, when the Wizard of Oz demanded Dorothy bring him the witch's broomstick, I was fainting with fear.
Today I marvel at the story and at how, on the road, Dorothy was joined by those who impersonated her needs: the scattered Scarecrow longing for a brain (wisdom), the stiff Tin Man aspiring to have a heart (love), and the cowardly Lion seeking courage to be king of the forest!
Returning home to love, I also have many fears: abandonment, loss of loved ones, failure, disillusionment, hurt, anger, pain, vulnerability, and death. As is Dorothy's in the film, my journey to welcome my fear is unfolding. Growing old, I recognise the road more clearly: let wisdom guide me into a network of loving friends. These relationships inspire me with courage to disempower fear.
So, I ask God to put the spirit of these friends within:
May Wisdom guide our steps.
May Love see us through.
And may Courage sustain our hope.
- Sue Mosteller

No comments: