Tuesday, January 31, 2012

God's Grandeur

Psalms presents a world that fits together as a whole, with everything upheld by a personal God watching over it.
This message, above all, leaped out at me during my frustrating attempts to read the Psalms in Colorado. I could not fit together all the contradictory messages I was reading, but the magnificent wilderness setting at least affirmed the message of God's grandeur, His worthiness. Wilderness brings us down a level, reminding us of something we'd prefer to forget: our creatureliness. It announces to our senses the splendour of an invisible, untamable God. How could I not offer praise to the One who dreamed up porcupines and elk, who splashed bright green aspen trees across hillsides of gray rock, who transforms the same landscape into a new work of art with every blizzard?
- Philip Yancey in "The Bible Jesus Read"

No comments: