Wednesday, January 20, 2010

On The Journey Towards Intimacy

I am a father, and my life has been richly blessed by my three sons, David (24), Kevin (22) and Patrick (19).
Recently Patrick cut a "Family Circus" comic out of the paper for me. In it P.J. (a young boy) says to his grandmother, "You're a better story reader than Daddy. He skips pages." This brought a big smile to my face as I remembered the countless nights I read to Patrick as part of his bedtime routine. I can recall the exact night the proverbial lightbulb went on and he figured out that I was indeed skipping pages. I also remember the night he decided that I didn't need to tuck him into bed anymore. This was for me a sad and necessary night as he entered the long tunnel of adolescence, when fathers are not as obviously appreciated.
Another of my favorite memories is my three teenage sons' advice when I was about to preach my first weeklong retreat. David said, "I just hope you're leaving the van at home." Kevin's response was, "I can't believe people would pay $400 to listen to you for a whole week. For that kind of money, I would do it myself. I've heard it all before." Then Patrick spoke up: "Dad, try not to be yourself."
Today's reality is different again, with my sons all young adults who continue to ask me to change and grow. In the end they will discover what I did, especially after my own dad died-that fathers are in their sons in ways that can take a lifetime to know, claim and appreciate.
- Joe Egan

No comments: