Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Celebrating Both Births

Today is my birthday, and I've joined the ranks of the seniors. I was born on May 23, 1951. I had no choice in the matter. It just happened to me. Mind you, I am very grateful for that birth - to my parents for conceiving me and to God "who formed my inward parts; and. knit me together in my mother's womb." (Psalm 139:13 NRSV) On that day I became the child of Don and Betty Wilkinson. And I appreciate this physical life, more and more so every day.
But there's another birthday I celebrate as well. On June 8, 1969 I was born spiritually, or born again, as some might say. Remember Nichodemus? Jesus said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3) In this new birth, I had a choice - to be or not to be. I chose to receive Christ as my Savior and My Lord. The Gospel of John explains, "As many as received [Christ], to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:12-13 NKJV) On that day I became a child of God. And I appreciate this spiritual life, more and more so every day.
- Rev. David T. Wilkinson

No comments: