Friday, February 03, 2012

On the Journey Towards Accepting my Anger

The journey toward accepting my anger is a long one. Accepting a part of myself that often does not get used well confronts and challenges me. Accepting the anger that rises up within me takes a step of maturity. For when I accept my anger, I realise it has a place. It is not something to deny or disregard. It is not something to fear or from which to run. When I accept my anger, I welcome it into the many rooms within me. Denying anger a place could give it greater power to wend its way into rooms where it should not be. Someone once told me, "Anger turned inward leads to depression."
Accepting my anger gives it a place at the table as a welcome guest. Anger holds no greater power than the other guests at the table but is nonetheless welcome. When all are offered hospitality at the table of our spiritual life, we may be surprised to "taste and see that God is good."
- Keith Reynolds

No comments: