Sunday, November 27, 2011

On the Journey Towards Accepting my Fears

As a college junior, I am at a critical point in my life. In the next ten years, I will attempt to find a job, enter a marriage, and think about children. The transition from childhood to adulthood at times overwhelms me. Every decision that I make now - who to date, what my major should be, what companies to interview with, how I treat my closest friends and family - seems to have a resounding impact on my future. Although I have always been content with my life, I am terrified of the unknown. I am frightened that I will choose the wrong career path and end up in a dismal job that I hate, that I will not succeed as a mother and wife, and that I will end up not being the person I want to be. At times like this, I find myself needing to take a deep breath and relax.
Despite my fears, somewhere along this journey, I have come to accept being afraid. If I knew where I was going to be in twenty years, where would the challenge and discovery in each day be? The best I can do now is be fully present in each moment. A quotation by Thich Nhat Hanh reads, "Life can be found only in the present moment. The past is gone, the future is not yet here, and if we do not go back to ourselves in the present moment, we cannot be in touch with life." The most I can do is give love to those I care the most about, because in giving something of ourselves, we receive much greater. Although my future still remains unknown, my present life is full of peace, laughter, and happiness. The rest of my life will be full of decisions and tribulations, but it will also be an exhilarating ride and something I can't wait to take one day at a time.
- Brianne Schmidt

No comments: