Tuesday, July 05, 2011

God Has No Grandchildren

"But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God."
(John 1:12-13, NKJV)
My children cannot inherit my faith. I can't save them. Each of us is on a journey. My role as a parent is not to convert my children, but to live a life consistent with my experience of God's radical love and trust that such a life will attract them. I do this knowing most teenagers rebel and experiment. They test the boundaries. I do this realising the paths my children choose may not be mine. My response to their choices is not to panic or control, but to love them unconditionally, as God loves me.
- Philip Gulley and James Mulholland in "If God Is Love"

No comments: