Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Faith Of Rosa Parks

Most people know the story of the seamstress who helped ignite the civil-rights movement, but many people don't know that Rosa Parks [was] a devout Christian, and that it was her faith that gave her the strength to do what she did that day in 1955.
In her book, entitled "Quiet Strength", Parks says her belief in God developed early in life. "Every day before supper and before we went to services on Sundays," Parks says, "my grandmother would read the Bible to me, and my grandfather would pray. We even had devotions before going to pick cotton in the fields. Prayer and the Bible," she recalls, "became a part of my everyday thoughts and beliefs. I learned to put my trust in God and to seek Him as my strength."...
When your friends and children read about... Rosa Parks..., make sure they know about the unimpeachable Source of her quiet strength. Her brave, dignified example just might encourage them to seek out that same Source for themselves.
- Chuck Colson

No comments: