Friday, July 16, 2010

On The Journey Toward Claiming Leadership

Recently I was asked to give a series of reflections on leadership around the United States and one of the major points that I made was that if we call ourselves disciples of Jesus, then we are leaders. Right out of the gate we are stating that we stand for something that is countercultural, prophetic and challenging. Challenging indeed!
To be sure, our claim to leadership is an awareness that grows through our life experiences. I have moments when I feel I am a great leader. Those moments are fleeting, though, as more often than not, what I think has been good leadership comes under someone else's critical eye and I'm called to reflect again. Perhaps more than being an outward expression to others, true leadership is in the daily faithfulness and sometimes anguish of trying to live an authentic life.
My journey towards claiming leadership is now more a grappling with interior effort than an exterior effort. I still work to share my gifts in leading and guiding others but always knowing profoundly that I can give away only what I have become. If I continue to look deeply within, with the desire to become more authentic, then I know that my outward leadership will be a positive sign for others. The greatest leaders I have known have been women and men who have understood that weakness and frailty are essential experiences on the way to spiritual maturity. Leadership flows from this journey like a river.
Victoria S. Schmidt

No comments: