Thursday, November 05, 2009

On The Journey Toward Reclaiming my Identity

Virginia Satir, the well-known psychotherapist, said, "Love brings up anything unlike itself for the purpose of healing." Through several years of counseling, this one sentence has helped in my recovery from sexual abuse. It is God's infinite love for me that continues calling me to the depths of my inner self, my true identity.
I know healing life's hurts helps me to become my true self. The struggles of life often create barriers to true love and understanding of self. Once we identify our struggles and make a conscious effort to heal, we begin to see clearly our true identity. Our real, God-centred identity is not the sum total of our experiences. Our God-centred identity is the inherent goodness that came with our creation. It begins whole and is powerful beyond measure. As we move through life, the wholeness gets chipped away and we have to consciously work towards healing.
What are the barriers that keep us from knowing our true, God-centred identity? What are the wounds that need healing? Why are we afraid to heal and to know our God-centred identity? Why are we so afraid to be whole? These are questions I ask myself often, and they continue to guide my own healing.
The love that brings up anything unlike itself to be healed is a love beyond our human grasp. It is the love that is given by the One who loves us infinitely more than we can ever fully understand.
by Victoria S. Schmidt

No comments: