Saturday, July 18, 2009

On The Journey Towards Responsibility

There is an old Hasidic saying that people should carefully observe which way their hearts draw them, and then choose that way with all their strength. I have come to appreciate the wisdom of this advice as I learn to be a good parent. Raising a family carries responsibilities that I used to think were beyond my handling. But as my wife, Clara, and I bring up three children under the age of four, I am realizing that I can best influence them in a positive way when I connect to them from the places of my own passion and strength. I have discovered the joys of co-creating stories with my son and sharing language and rhythm with my daughters.
For instance, I can engage my son's imagination and persuade him to choose to eat that plate of beans as I tell a story about Salvador and the Bean Eating Giant. Storytelling does not absolve me from learning good parenting techniques, but I am grateful I have discovered a personal approach that connects with my son and daughters.
Raising our children seems possible to the extent I ask for and am open to support from family and friends, surrender to God's strength and love, and remember the tools that have helped me handle earlier obligations in my life. I see that my passions and enthusiasms are gifts to share with my family and resources with which to live out my responsibilities.
by Tim Greenwood

No comments: