Monday, May 21, 2007

Why Worry When You Can Pray?

When Scripture encourages us to pray without ceasing, and to cast all our care upon him, it is literally saying redirect those restless, energetic minds into a positive stream of communication with God. Turn it all into prayer! Instead of nursing our wounds of self-pity, pray for the grace to forgive. Instead of worrying about those for whom we are responsible, ask God to intervene and lift the burden from our shoulders. Instead of thinking creatively about how to bring someone else down, pray creatively about how to build them up. When I lived in England, my landlady had a little wall plaque that read, "Why pray when you can worry?" I always saw the humor of it, and the reverse psychology was good for me. It always drove me to really say, "Why worry when you can pray?"
John Guest in "Only a Prayer Away," Christianity Today - Vol. 33, #2

No comments: