Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Excuses...

Times were difficult during the war years. As we sorted through my Grandmother’s personal effects, we found a piece of paper which included the following snippets, purporting to be word-for-word extracts from letters received by the Department of Pensions.
  • This is my eighth child. What are you going to do about it?
  • I cannot get sick pay. I have six children. Can you tell me why that is so?
  • I want the Congratulation money on the death of my husband.
  • Dear Sir, I am forwarding my Marriage Certificate and my two children, one of which you will see is a mistake.
  • You have changed my little girl into a boy; will it make any difference?
  • In accordance with instructions, I have given birth to twins. They are enclosed here at the foot of this paper.

No comments: