Thursday, December 07, 2006

Be Still

Most of the significant advances in human history - great social and political reformations, artistic productions, unique inventions, etc. - have come not from rushing around but from being still. They required periods of deep and rigorous contemplation, for only in this way can we escape the clamor of outer voices that remind us of 'how we've always done it.'
How do we find this time for solitude and introspection? We must stake it out for ourselves. One top manager I know does not allow his people to talk on the phone or meet between 8:30 and 9:30 in the morning. This is their quiet time. I used to talk to people on airplanes. Now I use that time to reflect, read, write, or just quiet my mind. I am amazed by my creativity after a long flight.
The point here is that there is no way to do silence wrong. The only thing 'wrong' would be not to do it.
Ken Blanchard, The Heart of a Leader

No comments: