Sunday, August 25, 2013

When She Opened the Door

Life-changing encounters often come unexpectedly
by Gordon MacDonald
It was 50 years ago this month that a mentor-friend said to me casually, "I've met a woman that I think would be a great wife for you."
This was no small comment coming from a man who was older than me, certainly wiser, and far more grounded in his relationship to God. His counsel (and rebukes) had always been trustworthy and valued. So for him to say he'd met a woman, who would make a "great wife" for me, certainly caught my attention!
When I asked for a description of this mystery woman, my friend described someone who seemed a perfect combination. To borrow a famous line from Keith Miller, she sounded like a combination of Mother Teresa, Betty Crocker, and Elizabeth Taylor—a perfect woman.
When he finished his glowing description of this "goddess," I insisted that I must meet her, and soon! I feared that some potential suitor might meet her before I could. In fact, I pressed my friend so hard to schedule an introduction that, finally, to get me off his back, he made a phone call. Minutes later we he had arranged breakfast with her the next morning.
The next day, at the appointed hour, my friend and I stood at her apartment door and knocked. It is said that we tend to form lasting impressions of people within 45 seconds of meeting them (thank you, Malcolm Gladwell) and that could explain, in part, what happened to me 50 years ago when I was introduced to Gail Akerlow.
Below is my recollection of that day. I wrote these words, and, a few days ago, read them to Gail during a candle-lit dinner.

When I knocked that morning,
You opened the door.

When you opened the door,
I saw a vibrant smile,
Heard a cheery voice,
Felt a firm hand.
And instantly I knew that I was meeting The one whom I'd been seeking.

When you opened the door,
I smelled breakfast, lovingly prepared,
Heard beautiful background melodies,
Saw order and felt restfulness.
And instantly I knew I'd come under the spell
Of someone who knew what home was all about.

When you opened the door,
I sensed a partner
Who loved to dream,
Who longed to serve.
And instantly I knew that you were someone
With whom I could share my life.

When you opened the door,
I had this insight:
That I was face to face with a woman
Who could love me into maturity.
And instantly I knew
That I could love her just as well.

When you opened the door,
I was sure that Christ was right beside you,
That you were loyal to him,
That you were his follower.
And instantly I knew
That we would walk with him together.

When you opened the door,
I warmed to your welcome.
for at that door I met the woman
That God had promised if I'd trust him.
And instantly I was sure
That everything in life was going to be different.

Thank you for opening the door.

A month later I asked Gail to marry me. Five months later we walked the aisle.

Here are some lessons from my story:
You never know when a life-altering event (good or bad) may emerge out of the most casual of conversations.
Make sure you have friends with the gift of discernment. And if you're the friend, make sure you don't squander your influence.
If the Holy Spirit is our guide, it is prudent to begin each day making sure that you are "guidable."
Even if they are schlocky, write poems for the people that you dearly love.

No comments: