Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Need for fathers

Famed rapper Tupac Shakur is profiled in a raw documentary detailing his short, tragic life. Raised in a New York City ghetto, Shakur personified the violent lifestyle depicted in his music. In 1996, Tupac was gunned down in a drive-by shooting.
What was the reason for the drugs, shootings, and prison time? Shakur said, "I blame my father, 'cuz he left me.
"My real father was a Black Panther. But when I was growing up, I never knew who my real father was, for sure. My stepfather was a gangster, a straight-up street hustler. My mom got a kid, but he didn't even care: 'Oh that's my son.' He took care of me, gave me money. But he was a criminal too out there doing his own thing. And he came and brought me money and left. I know for a fact if I had a father, I'd have some discipline. I'd have more confidence. Your mother can't calm you down the way a man can. Your mother can't reassure you the way a man can. Your mother can't show you where your manhood was. You need a man to teach you how to be a man."

source unknown

No comments: