Tuesday, February 22, 2011

On The Journey Towards Accepting my Disability

Last year I was struck with intestinal parasites. I used to dream of attaining a tragic illness - it would be so moving. If not a total excuse for not getting my life together, at least it would garner me some sympathy. My parasites turned out to be humbling but not life threatening. I was just tired, bloated and smelly. I had to work hard for some sympathy.
The problem with parasites is that they are not an excuse for not living. I had to learn how to live with something that made me weak, took away some control in my life. I actually gained weight-something hard to do with parasites-because I took up eating when I couldn't run.
Disability can be such a crutch. I have experienced this temptation in minor health issues as well as more serious depression. I have seen how some people with disability have been crushed by the way people treated them. Life isn't fair, but it's all we're given.
Some individuals have discovered their disability as a means to becoming more fully human, more fully alive. Supported by caring and honest people, these men and women have named their limits, discovering that they are intertwined with some unique and wonderful gifts. Rather than being a barrier, disability can reveal a person's capacity for profound connection with others and with God.
I still struggle with my sometimes hidden disability. Through some amazing teachers, I have learned a lot about my potential to live a more honest, intimate and compassionate life. I feel called to work with others to build community that welcomes individuals' gifts with loving regard for their disability.
by John Guido

No comments: