Monday, March 15, 2010

On The Journey Toward Becoming More Merciful

Shakespeare made a reference to mercy as being twice a blessing. It blesses the one who receives it and the one who bestows it. It takes being forgiven to begin to become more forgiving and so merciful and blest.
When I was a lad we lived next to Eric and his wife, an elderly couple who had a very well-kept yard and home. They had a beautiful row of peony bushes, which were just a little taller than we could jump over, but we kept trying, damaging the branches and blossoms. They also had a garage, and one day we put two baseballs through two different garage windows, unintentionally of course. Eric never complained to our parents or scolded us but continued being friendly and seemed to smile upon his neighbours. He seemed more forgiving than our parents, from whom I learned justice.
Eventually I asked Eric why he never seemed angry with us. He reflected awhile and then said that he once was a lad. He turned towards his house and nice yard. "That's a reflection of how I live now," he said. "You kids are how I used to live." He paused and then continued, "We had neighbours who complained if we sneezed. I learned to forgive by not being forgiven for being young, like you guys."
I now wish we had not broken his windows and knocked down his flower bushes. Happy fault, though, being forgiven by him was for me the beginning of experiencing the mercy of God. Receiving mercy is a healing experience, which allows us in turn to extend the healing mercy of Jesus.
- Fr. Larry Gillick, S.J.

No comments: