Friday, June 12, 2009

On The Journey Towards Forgiveness

When the adrenaline of a birth with a "good outcome" wore off, I found myself at home with a three-month-old baby and a two-year-old. At this point the baby was up every hour. I was exhausted, physically and emotionally. There was no space for sleep, let alone solitude. This was when I discovered that I have an anger button I had not experienced before.
There were times when I was so angry I went into the garage and kicked the garbage cans. Then I would come back into the house, feeling some relief but still stewing. As for my children, after a little nap, they were ready to re-enter the relationship and begin anew. They accepted my apology and forgave me with eagerness and a willingness to trust me again. The baby would cozy up for a little suckle, and if I tried to dwell in my anger towards them, the toddler would look at me as if I was peculiar and egg me on to come and play with her.
Forgiveness and celebration are the staples in the diet of my children's emotional lives. It is by God's invitation that I eat at their table and share in community with them to learn about God's forgiveness and the immense joy God takes in God's children.
written by Sheilagh Ashworth

No comments: