Friday, May 29, 2009

Who the Bible is Written For

Soren Kierkegaard once said that reading the Bible is like coming to a street corner and waiting for the traffic to pass before crossing the street. And while you are waiting, you overhear the conversation of the two women in front of you. They are oblivious to your presence, but as they talk, you realize that the conversation is about you. And what they say reveals to you things that you never suspected about yourself.
When I read the Bible in the power of the Holy Spirit, it's just like that. Though it was not written to me, I sense that is was written for me. I don't hear just what the Bible says to people in places long ago and far away. Rather, I feel as though I am overhearing messages that were meant just for me. In my devotional reading of the Scripture, as distinct from my times of study, I feel my soul being opened up to glimpses of Truth that are incredibly personal.
- Tony Campolo in "Following Jesus Without Embarrassing God"

No comments: