Monday, September 15, 2008

Well Fed

Several years ago a man wrote to the editor of the British Weekly, reporting that he couldn't remember any sermons he'd ever heard preached in church, and questioning whether they were really necessary. "I have been attending church services for the past thirty years and have heard probably 3,000 sermons," he wrote. "To my consternation I discovered that I cannot remember a single sermon!" There were many letters to the editor in response, but this one settled the issue: "I have been married for thirty years. During that time I have eaten 32,850 meals - mostly of my wife's cooking. Suddenly, I have discovered that I cannot remember the menu of a single meal. And yet, I have received nourishment from every single one of them. I have the distinct impression that without them, I would have starved to death long ago."

No comments: