Sunday, July 06, 2008

Commitment

In Tuesdays with Morrie (Doubleday, 1997), author Mitch Albom converses with his old college professor, who is now dying of Lou Gehrig's disease - and passing along the wisdom of his experience:
"The fact is, there is no foundation, no secure ground, upon which people may stand today if it isn't the family. It's become quite clear to me as I've been sick. If you don't have the support and love and caring and concern that you get from a family, you don't have much at all....
"Say I was divorced, or living alone, or had no children. This disease - what I'm going through - would be so much harder. I'm not sure I could do it. Sure, people would come visit, friends, associates, but it's not the same as having someone who will not leave. It's not the same as having someone whom you know has an eye on you, is watching you the whole time.
"This is part of what the family is about, not just love, but letting others know there's someone who is watching out for them. It's what I missed so much when my mother died - what I call your 'spiritual security' - knowing that your family will be there watching out for you. Nothing else will give you that. Not money. Not fame."
He shot me a look.
"Not work," he added.

No comments: