Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The state of humanity

A person asked God, "What surprises you most about mankind?"
And God answered:
"That they lose their health to make money, then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live neither for the present nor the future. That they live as if they will never die, and they die as if they had never lived..."
"But this is no real surprise to me, for what may be known about Me was plain to them -- I made it plain to them. Ever since the creation of the world, My invisible qualities -- My eternal power and divine nature -- have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
"For although humankind once knew me, they neither glorified Me as God nor thanked Me, so their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged My truth for a lie, and worshipped and served created things rather than Me, their Creator -- who they should praise forever."
adapted from Paul's letter to the Christians in Rome.
(source unknown)

No comments: